Once upon a time, sir, I lived the spiritual life under the fully awakened Buddha Kassapa. There they knew me as the mendicant Sahaka. Because of developing and cultivating these same five faculties I lost desire for sensual pleasures. When my body broke up, after death, I was reborn in a good place, in the realm of divinity. There they know me as the divinity Sahampati. That’s so true, Blessed One! That’s so true, Holy One! I know and see how when these five faculties are developed and cultivated they have freedom from death as their objective, destination, and culmination.”
Linked Discourses 48.58 6. The Boar’s Cave The Boar’s Cave
At one time the Buddha was staying near Rājagaha, on the Vulture’s Peak Mountain in the Boar’s Cave. Then the Buddha said to Venerable Sāriputta: “Sāriputta, considering what benefit does a mendicant with defilements ended, in rolling forth, roll forth with utmost deference for the Realized One or his instructions?” “Sir, it is considering the supreme sanctuary from the yoke that a mendicant with defilements ended, in rolling forth, rolls forth with utmost deference for the Realized One or his instructions.” “Good, good, Sāriputta! For it is considering the supreme sanctuary from the yoke that a mendicant whose defilements are ended, in rolling forth, rolls forth with utmost deference for the Realized One or his instructions.