And how is a mendicant a long-distance shooter? It’s when a mendicant truly sees any kind of form at all—past, future, or present; internal or external; solid or subtle; inferior or superior; far or near: <em>all</em> form—with right understanding: ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.’ They truly see any kind of feeling at all—past, future, or present; internal or external; solid or subtle; inferior or superior; far or near: <em>all</em> feeling—with right understanding: ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.’ They truly see any kind of perception at all—past, future, or present; internal or external; solid or subtle; inferior or superior; far or near: <em>all</em> perception—with right understanding: ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.’ They truly see any kind of choices at all—past, future, or present; internal or external; solid or subtle; inferior or superior; far or near: <em>all</em> choices—with right understanding: ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.’ They truly see any kind of consciousness at all—past, future, or present; internal or external; solid or subtle; inferior or superior; far or near: <em>all</em> consciousness—with right understanding: ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.’ That’s how a mendicant is a long-distance shooter.
And how is a mendicant a marksman? It’s when a mendicant truly understands: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering’. That’s how a mendicant is a marksman.