Numbered Discourses: Fives, Sixes
အင်္ဂလိပ်ဘာသာပြန် · တွဲ 22 · စာမျက်နှာ 250
စာမှတ်ထားရန် အကောင့်ဝင်ပါ

“Worthy Gotama, I have heard that the ascetic Gotama doesn’t bow to old brahmins, the elderly and senior, who are advanced in years and have reached the final stage of life; nor does he rise in their presence or offer them a seat. And this is indeed the case, for the worthy Gotama does not bow to old brahmins, elderly and senior, who are advanced in years and have reached the final stage of life; nor does he rise in their presence or offer them a seat. This is not appropriate, worthy Gotama.”

“Doṇa, do you too claim to be a brahmin?”

“Worthy Gotama, if anyone should be rightly called a brahmin, it’s me. For I am well born on both my mother’s and father’s side, stemming from a clean vessel, with irrefutable and impeccable genealogy back to the seventh paternal generation. I recite and remember the hymns, and have mastered the three Vedas, together with their vocabularies and ritual performance, their phonology and word classification, and the testaments as fifth. I know them word-by-word, and their grammar. I am well versed in cosmology and the marks of a great man.”

“Doṇa, the ancient brahmin seers were Aṭṭhaka, Vāmaka, Vāmadeva, Vessāmitta, Yamadaggi, Aṅgīrasa, Bhāradvāja, Vāseṭṭha, Kassapa, and Bhagu. They were the authors and propagators of the hymns, whose hymnal was sung and propagated and compiled in ancient times. These days, brahmins continue to sing and chant it. They continue chanting what was chanted, rehearsing what was rehearsed, and teaching what was taught. Those seers described five kinds of brahmins. A brahmin who is equal to the Divinity, one who is equal to a god, one who toes the line, one who crosses the line, and the fifth is a brahmin corpse-worker. Which one of these are you, Doṇa?”

ဤစာမျက်နှာဖတ်ရှုခြင်းအတွက် ကုသိုလ်ရမှတ် 20 ရရန် အကောင့်ဝင်ပါ