“Nāgita, may I never become famous. May fame not come to me. There are those who can’t get the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of awakening when they want, without trouble or difficulty like I can. Let them enjoy the filthy, lazy pleasure of possessions, honor, and popularity.”
“Sir, may the Blessed One please relent now! May the Holy One relent! Now is the time for the Buddha to relent. Wherever the Buddha now goes, the brahmins and householders, and people of town and country will incline the same way. It’s like when the heavens rain heavily and the water flows downhill. In the same way, wherever the Buddha now goes, the brahmins and householders, and people of town and country will incline the same way. Why is that? Because of the Buddha’s ethics and wisdom.”
“Nāgita, may I never become famous. May fame not come to me. There are those who can’t get the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of awakening when they want, without trouble or difficulty like I can. Let them enjoy the filthy, lazy pleasure of possessions, honor, and popularity.
Even some of the deities can’t get the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of awakening when they want, without trouble or difficulty like I can. When you all come together to enjoy each other’s company, I think: ‘These venerables mustn’t get the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of awakening when they want, without trouble or difficulty like I can. That must be because they come together to enjoy each other’s company.’