They think, ‘Why don’t I, with the fading away of rapture, enter and remain in the third absorption, where I will meditate with equanimity, mindful and aware, experiencing for themselves the bliss of which the noble ones declare, “Equanimous and mindful, one meditates in bliss.”’ Without charging at the third absorption, with the fading away of rapture, they enter and remain in the third absorption. They cultivate, develop, and make much of that basis, ensuring that it’s properly stabilized.
They think, ‘Why don’t I, with the giving up of pleasure and pain, and the disappearance of former happiness and sadness, enter and remain in the fourth absorption, without pleasure or pain, with pure equanimity and mindfulness.’ Without charging at the fourth absorption, with the giving up of pleasure and pain, and the disappearance of former happiness and sadness, they enter and remain in the fourth absorption. They cultivate, develop, and make much of that basis, ensuring that it’s properly stabilized.
They think, ‘Why don’t I, going totally beyond perceptions of form, with the disappearance of perceptions of impingement, not focusing on perceptions of diversity, aware that “space is infinite”, enter and remain in the dimension of infinite space.’ Without charging at the dimension of infinite space, with the fading away of rapture, they enter and remain in the dimension of infinite space. They cultivate, develop, and make much of that basis, ensuring that it’s properly stabilized.
They think, ‘Why don’t I, going totally beyond the dimension of infinite space, aware that “consciousness is infinite”, enter and remain in the dimension of infinite consciousness.’ Without charging at the dimension of infinite consciousness, they enter and remain in the dimension of infinite consciousness. They cultivate, develop, and make much of that basis, ensuring that it’s properly stabilized.