Stealing is a bad principle. Refraining from stealing is a good principle. … Sexual misconduct is a bad principle. Refraining from sexual misconduct is a good principle. … Lying is a bad principle. Refraining from lying is a good principle. … Backbiting is a bad principle. Refraining from divisive speech is a good principle. … Harsh speech is a bad principle. Refraining from harsh speech is a good principle. … Talking nonsense is a bad principle. Refraining from talking nonsense is a good principle. … Covetousness is a bad principle. Contentment is a good principle. … Ill will is a bad principle. Good will is a good principle. …
Wrong view is a bad principle. Right view is a good principle. And the many bad, unskillful qualities produced by wrong view are bad results. And the many skillful qualities fully developed because of right view are good results.
‘You should know bad principles and good principles. And you should know bad results and good results. Knowing these things, your practice should follow the good principles with good results.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.”
Numbered Discourses 10.174 17. With Jānussoṇi Sources of Deeds
“Mendicants, I say that killing living creatures is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that stealing is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that sexual misconduct is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that lying is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that backbiting is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that harsh speech is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that talking nonsense is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that covetousness is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.
I say that ill will is threefold: caused by greed, hate, or delusion.