“Well, worthy Ānanda, it seems that worthy Gotama criticized the kind of meditation that deserves criticism and praised that deserving of praise. Well, now, worthy Ānanda, I must go. I have many duties, and much to do.” “Please, brahmin, go at your convenience.” Then Vassakāra the brahmin, having approved and agreed with what Venerable Ānanda said, rose from his seat and left.
Soon after he had left, Moggallāna the Guardian said to Ānanda, “Worthy Ānanda, you still haven’t answered my question.” “But brahmin, didn’t I say: ‘There is no single mendicant who has all the same qualities in each and every way as possessed by the worthy Gotama, the perfected one, the fully awakened Buddha. For the Blessed One gave rise to the unarisen path, gave birth to the unborn path, and explained the unexplained path. He is the knower of the path, the discoverer of the path, the expert on the path. And now the disciples live following the path; they acquire it later.’”
Middle Discourses 109 The Longer Discourse on the Full-Moon Night