I have learned this in the presence of the Buddha: ‘When the being intent on awakening is conceived in his mother’s womb, no afflictions beset her. She’s happy and free of bodily fatigue. And she sees the being intent on awakening in her womb, whole in his major and minor limbs, not deficient in any faculty. Suppose there was a beryl gem that was naturally lustrous, eight-faceted, well-worked. And it was strung with a thread of blue, yellow, red, white, or golden brown. And a person with clear eyes were to take it in their hand and examine it: “This beryl gem is naturally lustrous, eight-faceted, well-worked. And it’s strung with a thread of blue, yellow, red, white, or golden brown.” In the same way, when the being intent on awakening is conceived in his mother’s womb, no afflictions beset her. She’s happy and free of bodily fatigue. And she sees the being intent on awakening in her womb, whole in his major and minor limbs, not deficient in any faculty.’ This too I remember as an incredible quality of the Buddha.
I have learned this in the presence of the Buddha: ‘Seven days after the being intent on awakening is born, his mother passes away and is reborn in the host of joyful gods.’ This too I remember as an incredible quality of the Buddha.
I have learned this in the presence of the Buddha: ‘Other women carry the infant in the womb for nine or ten months before giving birth. Not so the mother of the being intent on awakening. She gives birth after exactly ten months.’ This too I remember as an incredible quality of the Buddha.
I have learned this in the presence of the Buddha: ‘Other women give birth while sitting or lying down. Not so the mother of the being intent on awakening. She only gives birth standing up.’ This too I remember as an incredible quality of the Buddha.