“Reverend, for seven days I ate the nation’s almsfood as a debtor. Then on the eighth day I became enlightened.” This too we remember as an incredible and amazing quality of Venerable Bakkula.
“Reverend Bakkula, may I receive the going forth, the ordination in this teaching and training?” And the naked ascetic Kassapa received the going forth, the ordination in this teaching and training. Not long after his ordination, Venerable Kassapa, living alone, withdrawn, diligent, keen, and resolute, soon realized the supreme culmination of the spiritual path in this very life. He lived having achieved with his own insight the goal for which gentlemen rightly go forth from the lay life to homelessness. He understood: “Rebirth is ended; the spiritual journey has been completed; what had to be done has been done; there is nothing further for this place.” And Venerable Kassapa became one of the perfected.
Then some time later Venerable Bakkula, taking a latchkey, went from dwelling to dwelling, saying, “Come forth, venerables, come forth! Today will be my full extinguishment.” This too we remember as an incredible and amazing quality of Venerable Bakkula.