And how do you not run back to the past? Consciousness doesn’t get tied up there with desire and lust, thinking: ‘In the past I had such eyes and such sights.’ So you don’t take pleasure in that, and that’s when you no longer run back to the past. Consciousness doesn’t get tied up there with desire and lust, thinking: ‘In the past I had such ears and such sounds … such a nose and such smells … such a tongue and such tastes … such a body and such touches … such a mind and such ideas.’ So you don’t take pleasure in that, and that’s when you no longer run back to the past. That’s how you don’t run back to the past.
And how do you anticipate the future? The heart is set on getting what it does not have, thinking: ‘May I have such eyes and such sights in the future.’ So you take pleasure in that, and that’s when you anticipate the future. The heart is set on getting what it does not have, thinking: ‘May I have such ears and such sounds … such a nose and such smells … such a tongue and such tastes … such a body and such touches … such a mind and such ideas in the future.’ So you take pleasure in that, and that’s when you anticipate the future. That’s how you anticipate the future.