Then it occurred to the Buddha, “This gentleman has gone forth in my name. Why don’t I teach him the Dhamma?” So the Buddha said to Pukkusāti, “Mendicant, I shall teach you the Dhamma. Listen and apply your mind well, I will speak.” “Yes, reverend,” replied Pukkusāti. The Buddha said this:
“‘This person has six elements, six fields of contact, eighteen mental preoccupations, and four foundations. Where they stand, the streams of conceiving do not flow. And where the streams of conceiving do not flow, they are called a sage at peace. Do not neglect wisdom; preserve truth; foster generosity; and train only for peace.’ This is the summary recital for the analysis of the elements.
‘This person has six elements.’ That’s what I said, but why did I say it? There are these six elements: the elements of earth, water, fire, air, space, and consciousness. ‘This person has six elements.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.
‘This person has six fields of contact.’ That’s what I said, but why did I say it? The fields of contact of the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind. ‘This person has six fields of contact.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.