‘This person has eighteen mental preoccupations.’ That’s what I said, but why did I say it? Seeing a sight with their eyes, one is preoccupied with a sight that’s a basis for happiness or sadness or equanimity. Hearing a sound with their ears … Smelling an odor with their nose … Tasting a flavor with their tongue … Encountering a touch with their body … Becoming conscious of an idea with their mind, one is preoccupied with an idea that’s a basis for happiness or sadness or equanimity. So there are six preoccupations with happiness, six preoccupations with sadness, and six preoccupations with equanimity. ‘This person has eighteen mental preoccupations.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.
‘This person has four foundations.’ That’s what I said, but why did I say it? The foundations of wisdom, truth, generosity, and peace. ‘This person has four foundations.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.
‘Do not neglect wisdom; preserve truth; foster generosity; and train only for peace.’ That’s what I said, but why did I say it?
And how does one not neglect wisdom? There are these six elements: the elements of earth, water, fire, air, space, and consciousness.