There are sounds known by the ear … smells known by the nose … tastes known by the tongue … touches known by the body … ideas known by the mind, which are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. If a mendicant approves, welcomes, and keeps clinging to them, this gives rise to relishing. Relishing is the origin of suffering, I say.
There are sights known by the eye, which are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. If a mendicant doesn’t approve, welcome, and keep clinging to them, relishing ceases. When relishing ceases, suffering ceases, I say. There are sounds known by the ear … smells known by the nose … tastes known by the tongue … touches known by the body … ideas known by the mind, which are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. If a mendicant doesn’t approve, welcome, and keep clinging to them, relishing ceases. When relishing ceases, suffering ceases, I say.
Puṇṇa, now that I’ve given you this brief advice, what country will you live in?” “Sir, there’s a country named Sunāparanta. I shall live there.”