“Sāriputta, your faculties are so very clear, and your complexion is pure and bright. What kind of meditation are you usually practicing these days?” “Sir, these days I usually practice the meditation on emptiness.” “Good, good, Sāriputta! It seems you usually practice the meditation of a great man. For emptiness is the meditation of a great man.
Now, a mendicant might wish: ‘May I usually practice the meditation on emptiness.’ So they should reflect: ‘Along the path that I went for alms, or in the place I wandered for alms, or along the path that I returned from alms, was there any desire or greed or hate or delusion or aversion in my heart for sights known by the eye?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that there was such desire or greed or hate or delusion or aversion in their heart, they should make an effort to give up those unskillful qualities. But suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that there was no such desire or greed or hate or delusion or aversion in their heart, they should meditate with rapture and joy, training day and night in skillful qualities.