And how is there resolution because of past insanity? It’s when a mendicant accuses a mendicant of the kind of serious offense that entails expulsion, or close to it: ‘Venerable, do you recall committing the kind of serious offense that entails expulsion or close to it?’ They say: ‘No, reverend, I don’t recall committing such an offense.’ But though they try to get out of it, the mendicant pursues the issue: ‘Surely the venerable must know perfectly well if you recall committing an offense that entails expulsion or close to it!’ They say: ‘Reverend, I had gone mad, I was out of my mind. And while I was mad I did and said many things that are not proper for an ascetic. I don’t remember any of that, I was mad when I did it.’ The resolution because of past insanity should be granted to them. That’s how there is resolution because of past insanity. And that’s how certain disciplinary issues are settled, that is, by resolution because of past insanity.