Linked Discourses: The Chapter on Causation
English Translation · Volume 16 · Page 274
Sign in to bookmark

At Sāvatthī. “Possessions, honor, and popularity are grim … When I’ve comprehended the mind of a certain individual, I understand: ‘This venerable would not tell a deliberate lie even for the sake of a gold cup filled with silver powder.’ But some time later I see them tell a deliberate lie because their mind is overcome and overwhelmed by possessions, honor, and popularity. So grim are possessions, honor, and popularity. …”

Linked Discourses 17.12 Chapter Two A Silver Pot

At Sāvatthī. “Possessions, honor, and popularity are grim … When I’ve comprehended the mind of a certain individual, I understand: ‘This venerable would not tell a deliberate lie even for the sake of a silver cup filled with gold powder.’ But some time later I see them tell a deliberate lie because their mind is overcome and overwhelmed by possessions, honor, and popularity. So grim are possessions, honor, and popularity. …”

Linked Discourses 17.13–20 Chapter Two A Gold Ingot, Etc.

Log in to earn 20 merit points for reading this page