“Good, good, mendicant! It’s good that you understand the detailed meaning of what I’ve said in brief like this. When you grasp form you’re bound by Māra. Not grasping, you’re free from the Wicked One. When you grasp feeling … perception … choices … consciousness, you’re bound by Māra. Not grasping, you’re free from the Wicked One. This is how to see the detailed meaning of what I said in brief.”
And then that mendicant approved and agreed with what the Buddha said. He got up from his seat, bowed and respectfully circled the Buddha, keeping him on his right, before leaving. Then that mendicant, living alone, withdrawn, diligent, keen, and resolute, soon realized the supreme culmination of the spiritual path in this very life. He lived having achieved with his own insight the goal for which gentlemen rightly go forth from the lay life to homelessness. He understood: “Rebirth is ended; the spiritual journey has been completed; what had to be done has been done; there is nothing further for this place.” And that mendicant became one of the perfected.
Linked Discourses 22.64 7. The Perfected Ones Conceiving
At Sāvatthī. Then a mendicant went up to the Buddha … and asked him, “Sir, may the Buddha please teach me Dhamma in brief. When I’ve heard it, I’ll live alone, withdrawn, diligent, keen, and resolute.” “When you conceive, mendicant, you’re bound by Māra. Not conceiving, you’re free from the Wicked One.” “Understood, Blessed One! Understood, Holy One!”
“But how do you see the detailed meaning of my brief statement?” “Sir, when you conceive form you’re bound by Māra. Not conceiving, you’re free from the Wicked One. When you conceive feeling … perception … choices … consciousness, you’re bound by Māra. Not conceiving, you’re free from the Wicked One. That’s how I understand the detailed meaning of the Buddha’s brief statement.”