So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Rājagaha, on the Vulture’s Peak Mountain. Now at that time a wanderer named Sarabha had recently left this teaching and training. He was telling a crowd in Rājagaha, “I learned the teaching of the ascetics who follow the Sakyan, then I left their teaching and training.” Then several mendicants robed up in the morning and, taking their bowls and robes, entered Rājagaha for alms. They heard what Sarabha was saying.
Then, after the meal, when they returned from almsround, they went up to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him, “The wanderer named Sarabha has recently left this teaching and training. He was telling a crowd in Rājagaha: ‘I learned the teaching of the ascetics who follow the Sakyan, then I left their teaching and training.’ Worthy sir, please go to the wanderers’ monastery on the bank of the Serpentine River to see Sarabha the wanderer out of sympathy.” The Buddha consented with silence.
Then in the late afternoon, the Buddha came out of retreat and went to the wanderers’ monastery on the bank of the Serpentine River to visit Sarabha the wanderer. He sat down on the seat spread out and said to the wanderer Sarabha, “Is it really true, Sarabha, that you’ve been saying: ‘I learned the teaching of the ascetics who follow the Sakyan, then I left their teaching and training.’” When he said this, Sarabha kept silent.