Numbered Discourses: Ones, Twos, Threes
English Translation · Volume 20 · Page 351
Sign in to bookmark

And what is purity of mind? It’s when a mendicant who has sensual desire in them understands ‘I have sensual desire in me.’ When they don’t have sensual desire in them, they understand ‘I don’t have sensual desire in me.’ They understand how sensual desire arises; how, when it’s already arisen, it’s given up; and how, once it’s given up, it doesn’t arise again in the future. When they have ill will in them they understand ‘I have ill will in me’; and when they don’t have ill will in them they understand ‘I don’t have ill will in me’. They understand how ill will arises; how, when it’s already arisen, it’s given up; and how, once it’s given up, it doesn’t arise again in the future. When they have dullness and drowsiness in them they understand ‘I have dullness and drowsiness in me’; and when they don’t have dullness and drowsiness in them they understand ‘I don’t have dullness and drowsiness in me’. They understand how dullness and drowsiness arise; how, when they’ve already arisen, they’re given up; and how, once they’re given up, they don’t arise again in the future. When they have restlessness and remorse in them they understand ‘I have restlessness and remorse in me’; and when they don’t have restlessness and remorse in them they understand ‘I don’t have restlessness and remorse in me’. They understand how restlessness and remorse arise; how, when they’ve already arisen, they’re given up; and how, once they’re given up, they don’t arise again in the future. When they have doubt in them they understand ‘I have doubt in me’; and when they don’t have doubt in them they understand ‘I don’t have doubt in me’. They understand how doubt arises; how, when it’s already arisen, it’s given up; and how, once it’s given up, it doesn’t arise again in the future. This is called ‘purity of mind’. These are the three kinds of purity.

Purity of body, purity of speech, and undefiled purity of heart. A pure one, blessed with purity, has washed off all bad things, they say.”

Numbered Discourses 3.122 12. Bound for Loss Sagacity

“Mendicants, there are these three kinds of sagacity. What three? Sagacity of body, speech, and mind. And what is sagacity of body? It’s when a mendicant doesn’t kill living creatures, steal, or have sex. This is called ‘sagacity of body’.

And what is sagacity of speech? It’s when a mendicant doesn’t use speech that’s false, backbiting, harsh, or nonsensical. This is called ‘sagacity of speech’.

And what is sagacity of mind? It’s when a mendicant realizes the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom. And they live having realized it with their own insight in this very life due to the ending of defilements. This is called ‘sagacity of mind’. These are the three kinds of sagacity.

A sage in body, a sage in speech, a sage undefiled in heart; a sage, blessed with sagacity, has given up everything, they say.”

Log in to earn 20 merit points for reading this page