Then Venerable Ānanda thought, “What is the cause, what is the reason why the Buddha smiled? Realized Ones do not smile for no reason.”
So Venerable Ānanda said to the Buddha, “What is the cause, what is the reason why the Buddha smiled? Realized Ones do not smile for no reason.”
“Once upon a time, Ānanda, there was a city in this spot that was successful and prosperous, populous and full of people. And Kassapa, a blessed one, a perfected one, a fully awakened Buddha, lived supported by that city.
He had a lay follower named Gavesī who had not fulfilled all the precepts. And the five hundred lay followers who were taught and advised by Gavesī also had not fulfilled all the precepts. Then Gavesī thought: ‘I’m the helper, leader, and adviser of these five hundred lay followers, yet neither I nor they have fulfilled the precepts. We’re the same, I’m in no way better. So let me do better.’