“Reverend Ānanda, I hear the Buddha.
It’s when a mendicant recollects many kinds of past lives. That is: one, two, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand rebirths; many eons of the world contracting, many eons of the world expanding, many eons of the world contracting and expanding. They remember: ‘There, I was named this, my clan was that, I looked like this, and that was my food. This was how I felt pleasure and pain, and that was how my life ended. When I passed away from that place I was reborn somewhere else. There, too, I was named this, my clan was that, I looked like this, and that was my food. This was how I felt pleasure and pain, and that was how my life ended. When I passed away from that place I was reborn here.’ And so they recollect their many kinds of past lives, with features and details. This is a topic for recollection.”
Then the Buddha said to Venerable Ānanda: “Ānanda, I know that this futile man Udāyī is not committed to the higher mind. Ānanda, how many topics for recollection are there?”
“Sir, there are five topics for recollection. What five?
Firstly, a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption … second absorption … third absorption. When this topic of recollection is developed and cultivated in this way it leads to blissful meditation in this very life.
Furthermore, a mendicant focuses on the perception of light, focusing on the perception of day regardless of whether it’s night or day. And so, with an open and unenveloped heart, they develop a mind that’s full of radiance. When this topic of recollection is developed and cultivated in this way it leads to knowledge and vision.