Numbered Discourses: Sevens, Eights, Nines
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 23 · Page 222
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

“Good, good, mendicant! That gentleman has few wishes. He doesn’t want his own good qualities to be made known to others. Well then, mendicant, you should remember the householder Hatthaka of Āḷavī as someone who has this eighth amazing and incredible quality, that is, fewness of wishes.”

Numbered Discourses 8.24 3. Householders With Hatthaka (2nd)

At one time the Buddha was staying near Āḷavī, at Āḷavī’s premier shrine. Then the householder Hatthaka of Āḷavī, escorted by around five hundred lay followers, went up to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down to one side. The Buddha said to Hatthaka:

“Hatthaka, you have a large congregation. How do you bring together such a large congregation?”

“Sir, I bring together such a large congregation by using the four ways of being inclusive as taught by the Buddha. When I know that they can be included by a gift, I include them by giving a gift. When I know that they can be included by kindly words, I include them by kindly words. When I know that they can be included by taking care of them, I include them by caring for them. When I know that they can be included by equality, I include them by treating them equally. But also, worthy sir, my family is wealthy. They wouldn’t think that a poor person was worth listening to in the same way.”

เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้