“Mendicants, the observance of the sabbath with its eight factors is very fruitful and beneficial and brilliant and bountiful. And how should it be observed? It’s when a noble disciple reflects: ‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up killing living creatures, renouncing the rod and the sword. They are scrupulous and kind, and live full of sympathy for all living beings. I, too, for this day and night will give up killing living creatures, renouncing the rod and the sword. I’ll be scrupulous and kind, and live full of sympathy for all living beings. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its first factor.
‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up stealing. They take only what’s given, and expect only what’s given. They keep themselves clean by not thieving. I, too, for this day and night will give up stealing. I’ll take only what’s given, and expect only what’s given. I’ll keep myself clean by not thieving. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its second factor.
‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up unchastity. They are chaste, set apart, refraining from the vulgar act of sex. I, too, for this day and night will give up unchastity. I will be chaste, set apart, refraining from the vulgar act of sex. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its third factor.
‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up lying. They speak the truth and stick to the truth. They’re honest and dependable, and don’t trick the world with their words. I, too, for this day and night will give up lying. I’ll speak the truth and stick to the truth. I’ll be honest and dependable, and won’t trick the world with my words. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its fourth factor.