They personally have good friends, and praise such friendship. And they encourage other mendicants who lack good friends to develop good friendship. And they praise other mendicants who have good friends at the right time, truthfully and correctly.
That’s how I understand the detailed meaning of the Buddha’s brief statement.”
“Good, good, Sāriputta! It’s good that you understand the detailed meaning of what I’ve said in brief like this.
It’s when a mendicant personally respects the Teacher … And they encourage other mendicants who lack such respect to respect the Teacher. And they praise other mendicants who respect the Teacher at the right time, truthfully and correctly.
They personally respect the teaching …
They personally respect the Saṅgha …
They personally respect the training …
They personally respect immersion …
They are personally easy to admonish …
They personally have good friends, and praise such friendship. And they encourage other mendicants who lack good friends to develop good friendship. And they praise other mendicants who have good friends at the right time, truthfully and correctly.
This is how to see the detailed meaning of what I said in brief.”
Numbered Discourses 7.36 4. Deities A Friend (1st)