“How do you cross the flood? How do you cross the deluge? How do you get over suffering? How do you get purified?”
“By faith you cross the flood, and by diligence the deluge. By energy you get past suffering, and you’re purified by wisdom.”
“How do you get wisdom? How do you earn wealth? How do you get a good reputation? How do you hold on to friends? How do the departed not grieve when passing from this world to the next?”
“One who is diligent and discerning gains wisdom by wanting to learn, having faith in the perfected ones, and the teaching for becoming extinguished.
Being responsible, acting appropriately, and working hard you earn wealth. Truthfulness wins you a good reputation. You hold on to friends by giving.
A faithful householder of discernment who possesses these four qualities does not grieve after passing away: truth, principle, steadfastness, and generosity.
Go ahead, ask others as well, there are many ascetics and brahmins. See whether anything better is found than truth, principle, generosity, and patience.”
“Why now would I question the many ascetics and brahmins? Today I understand what’s good for lives to come.
It was truly for my benefit that the Buddha came to stay at Āḷavī. Today I understand where a gift is very fruitful.
I myself will journey village to village, town to town, paying homage to the Buddha, and the clear rightness of the teaching!”
Anthology of Discourses 1.11 Victory Over Desire for the Body