“You stay in the open, though these winter nights are cold. Don’t perish, overcome with cold; enter your dwelling, with door shut fast.”
“I’ll realize the four immeasurable states, and meditate happily in them. I won’t perish, overcome with cold; I’ll dwell unperturbed.”
Verses of the Senior Monks 6.3 The Book of the Sixes Chapter One Mahānāga
Whoever has no respect for their spiritual companions falls away from the true teaching, like a fish in a little puddle.
Whoever has no respect for their spiritual companions doesn’t thrive in the true teaching, like a rotten seed in a field.
Whoever has no respect for their spiritual companions is far from extinguishment, in the teaching of the Dhamma king.
Whoever does have respect for their spiritual companions doesn’t fall away from the true teaching, like a fish in plenty of water.
Whoever does have respect for their spiritual companions thrives in the true teaching, like a fine seed in a field.
Whoever does have respect for their spiritual companions is close to extinguishment in the teaching of the Dhamma king.
Verses of the Senior Monks 6.4 The Book of the Sixes Chapter One Kulla