Then Venerable Ānanda entered a building, and stood there leaning against the door-jamb and crying, “Oh! I’m still only a trainee with work left to do; and my Teacher is about to be fully extinguished, he who is so kind to me!” Then the Buddha said to the mendicants, “Mendicants, where is Ānanda?” “Sir, Ānanda has entered a dwelling, and stands there leaning against the door-jamb and crying: ‘Oh! I’m still only a trainee with work left to do; and my Teacher is about to be fully extinguished, he who is so kind to me!’” So the Buddha addressed one of the monks, “Please, monk, in my name tell Ānanda that the Teacher summons him.” “Yes, sir,” that monk replied. He went to Ānanda and said to him, “Reverend Ānanda, the Teacher summons you.”
“Yes, reverend,” Ānanda replied. He went to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down to one side. The Buddha said to him: “Enough, Ānanda! Do not grieve, do not lament. Did I not prepare for this when I explained that we must be parted and separated from all we hold dear and beloved? How could it possibly be so that what is born, created, conditioned, and liable to wear out should not wear out, even the Realized One’s body? For a long time, Ānanda, you’ve treated the Realized One with deeds of body, speech, and mind that are loving, beneficial, pleasant, undivided, and limitless. You have done good deeds, Ānanda. Devote yourself to meditation, and you will soon be free of defilements.”