Furthermore, a mendicant should reflect: ‘Have I given up the five hindrances?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have not given them up, they should make an effort to do so. But suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have given them up, they should meditate with rapture and joy, training day and night in skillful qualities.
Furthermore, a mendicant should reflect: ‘Have I completely understood the five grasping aggregates?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have not completely understood them, they should make an effort to do so. But suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have completely understood them, they should meditate with rapture and joy, training day and night in skillful qualities.
Furthermore, a mendicant should reflect: ‘Have I developed the four kinds of mindfulness meditation?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they haven’t developed them, they should make an effort to do so. But suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have developed them, they should meditate with rapture and joy, training day and night in skillful qualities.