“It’s incredible, sir, it’s amazing! It seems the Buddha has explained to us how to cross over the flood by relying on one support or another. But sir, what is noble liberation?” “Ānanda, it’s when a noble disciple reflects like this: ‘Sensual pleasures in this life and in lives to come, sensual perceptions in this life and in lives to come, visions in this life and in lives to come, perceptions of visions in this life and in lives to come, perceptions of the imperturbable, perceptions of the dimension of nothingness, perceptions of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; that is substantial reality as far as substantial reality extends. But this is freedom from death, namely the liberation of the mind by not grasping.’
So, Ānanda, I have taught the ways of practice suitable for attaining the imperturbable, the dimension of nothingness, and the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. I have taught how to cross the flood by relying on one support or another, and I have taught noble liberation.
Out of sympathy, I’ve done what a teacher should do who wants what’s best for their disciples. Here are these roots of trees, and here are these empty huts. Practice absorption, Ānanda! Don’t be negligent! Don’t regret it later! This is my instruction to you.” That is what the Buddha said. Satisfied, Venerable Ānanda approved what the Buddha said.
Middle Discourses 107 With Moggallāna the Accountant