“Well, worthy Gotama, is suffering made by oneself?” “Not so, Kassapa,” said the Buddha. “Then is suffering made by another?” “Not so, Kassapa,” said the Buddha. “Well, is suffering made by both oneself and another?” “Not so, Kassapa,” said the Buddha. “Then does suffering arise anomalously, not made by oneself or another?” “Not so, Kassapa,” said the Buddha. “Well, is there no such thing as suffering?” “It’s not that there’s no such thing as suffering. Suffering is real.” “Then does the worthy Gotama not know or see suffering?” “It’s not that I don’t know or see suffering. I do know suffering, I do see suffering.”
“Worthy Gotama, when asked these questions, you say ‘not so’. Yet you say that there is such a thing as suffering. And you say that you do know suffering, and you do see suffering. Sir, let the Blessed One explain suffering to me! Let the Blessed One teach me about suffering!”