Later, when Channa was again being examined about an offense in the midst of the Sangha, he thought, “By speaking evasively I’ll commit an offense,” and he instead harassed the Sangha by remaining silent. The monks of few desires complained and criticized him, “When he’s examined about an offense in the midst of the Sangha, how can Venerable Channa harass the Sangha by remaining silent?” … “Is it true, Channa, that you did this?” “It’s true, sir.” The Buddha rebuked him … “Foolish man, how could you do this? This will affect people’s confidence …” After rebuking him … he gave a teaching and addressed the monks: “Well then, monks, the Sangha should charge Channa with harassment. And he is to be charged like this. A competent and capable monk should inform the Sangha: ‘Please, venerables, I ask the Sangha to listen. The monk Channa, when examined about an offense in the midst of the Sangha, harasses the Sangha by remaining silent. If the Sangha is ready, it should charge the monk Channa with harassment. This is the motion. Please, venerables, I ask the Sangha to listen. The monk Channa, when examined about an offense in the midst of the Sangha, harasses the Sangha by remaining silent. The Sangha is charging the monk Channa with harassment. Any monk who approves of charging the monk Channa of harassment should remain silent. Any monk who doesn’t approve should speak up. The Sangha has charged the monk Channa with harassment. The Sangha approves and is therefore silent. I will remember it thus.’”