At one time when the Buddha was staying in the Sakyan country in the Banyan Tree Monastery at Kapilavatthu, Mahānāma the Sakyan had an abundance of tonics. He went to the Buddha, bowed, sat down, and said, “Sir, I wish to invite the Sangha to ask for tonics for four months.” “Good, good, Mahānāma. Please do so.” But the monks were afraid of wrongdoing and did not accept. They then told the Buddha what had happened. … “Monks, I allow you to accept an invitation to ask for tonics for four months.”
Yet the monks only asked Mahānāma for a small amount of tonics, and so he still had an abundance. A second time he went to the Buddha, bowed, sat down, and said, “Sir, I wish to invite the Sangha to ask for tonics for a further four months.” “Good, good, Mahānāma. Please do so.” Again the monks were afraid of wrongdoing and did not accept. They told the Buddha. … “Monks, I allow you to accept a further invitation.”