The monks heard the complaints of those people, and the monks of few desires complained and criticized those monks, “How could the monks from the group of six go to see the army?” … “Is it true, monks, that you did this?” “It’s true, sir.” The Buddha rebuked them … “Foolish men, how could you do this? This will affect people’s confidence …” … “And, monks, this training rule should be recited like this:
Preliminary ruling ‘If a monk goes to see an army, he commits an offense entailing confession.’”
In this way the Buddha laid down this training rule for the monks.
Second substory Soon afterwards a certain monk had a sick uncle in the army. The uncle sent a message to that monk: “I’m with the army and I’m sick. Please come, venerable. I want you to come.” Knowing that the Buddha had laid down a rule against going to see an army, that monk thought, “I have a sick uncle in the army. What should I do now?” And he told the Buddha. Soon afterwards the Buddha gave a teaching and addressed the monks: “Monks, I allow you to go to the army when there’s a suitable reason. And so, monks, this training rule should be recited like this:
Final ruling ‘If a monk goes to see an army, except if there is a suitable reason, he commits an offense entailing confession.’”
Definitions A: whoever … Monk: … The monk who has been given the full ordination by a unanimous Sangha through a legal procedure consisting of one motion and three announcements that is irreversible and fit to stand—this sort of monk is meant in this case. An army: it has left the inhabited area and is either encamped or marching.