‘If a male or female householder has set aside a robe fund for an unrelated monk, thinking,
“With this robe fund I will buy robe-cloth and give it to monk so-and-so;” and if that monk, without first being invited, goes to them and specifies the kind of robe-cloth he wants, saying, “Please use this robe fund to buy such-and-such robe-cloth and then give it to me,” and he does so because he wants something fine, he commits an offense entailing relinquishment and confession.’”
Definitions For a monk: for the benefit of a monk; making a monk the object of consideration, one wants to give to him. Unrelated: anyone who is not a descendant of one’s male ancestors going back eight generations, either on the mother’s side or on the father’s side. A male householder: any man who lives at home. A female householder: any woman who lives at home. A robe fund: money, gold, a pearl, a gem, a coral, a crystal, cloth, thread, or cotton wool. With this robe fund: with that which is at one’s disposal. I will buy: having traded. I will give: I will donate. If that monk: the monk the robe fund has been set aside for. Without first being invited: he or she has not said beforehand: “Venerable, what kind of robe-cloth do you need? What kind of robe-cloth can I buy for you?”