After rebuking those monks in many ways, they told the Buddha. Soon afterwards he had the Sangha gathered and questioned the monks: “Is it true, monks, that there are monks who do this?” “It’s true, sir.” The Buddha rebuked them, “How can those foolish men do this? This will affect people’s confidence …” … “And, monks, this training rule should be recited like this:
Preliminary ruling ‘If a monk has had a new blanket made, he should keep it for six years.
Whether that blanket has been given away or not, if he has another new blanket made in less than six years, he commits an offense entailing relinquishment and confession.’” In this way the Buddha laid down this training rule for the monks.
Second substory At one time a certain monk at Kosambī was sick. His relatives sent him a message, saying, “Come, venerable, we’ll nurse you.” The monks urged him to go, but he said, “The Buddha has laid down a training rule that a monk who has had a new blanket made must keep it for six years. Now because I’m sick, I’m unable to travel with my blanket. And because I’m not comfortable without it, I can’t go.” They told the Buddha.