He thinks: ‘I’m well born on both my mother’s and father’s side, stemming from a clean vessel, with irrefutable and impeccable genealogy back to the seventh paternal generation. Why shouldn’t I aspire to kingship? I’m attractive, good-looking, lovely, of surpassing beauty. Why shouldn’t I aspire to kingship? I’m dear and beloved to my parents. Why shouldn’t I aspire to kingship? I’m dear and beloved to the people of town and country. Why shouldn’t I aspire to kingship? I’m trained and skilled in the arts of anointed aristocratic kings, such as elephant riding, horse riding, driving a chariot, archery, and swordsmanship. Why shouldn’t I aspire to kingship?’ An anointed aristocratic king’s eldest son with these five factors aspires to kingship.
In the same way, a mendicant with five qualities aspires to end the defilements. What five?
It’s when a mendicant has faith in the Realized One’s awakening: ‘That Blessed One is perfected, a fully awakened Buddha, accomplished in knowledge and conduct, holy, knower of the world, supreme guide for those fit for training, teacher of gods and humans, awakened, blessed.’
They are rarely ill or unwell. Their stomach digests well, being neither too hot nor too cold, but just right, and fit for meditation.
They’re not devious or deceitful. They reveal themselves honestly to the Teacher or sensible spiritual companions.
They live with energy roused up for giving up unskillful qualities and embracing skillful qualities. They’re strong, staunchly vigorous, not slacking off when it comes to developing skillful qualities.
They’re wise. They have the wisdom of arising and passing away which is noble, penetrative, and leads to the complete ending of suffering.