They’re a good speaker who enunciates well, with a polished, clear, and articulate voice that expresses the meaning.
They get the four absorptions—blissful meditations in this life that belong to the higher mind—when they want, without trouble or difficulty.
They realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom. And they live having realized it with their own insight in this very life due to the ending of defilements.
A senior mendicant with these five qualities is dear and beloved to their spiritual companions, respected and admired.”
“Good, good, Upavāṇa! A senior mendicant with these five qualities is dear and beloved to their spiritual companions, respected and admired. If these five qualities are not found in a senior mendicant, why would their spiritual companions honor, respect, revere, or venerate them? Because of their broken teeth, gray hair, and wrinkled skin? But since these five qualities are found in a senior mendicant, their spiritual companions honor, respect, revere, or venerate them.”
Numbered Discourses 5.167 17. Resentment Accusation
There Sāriputta addressed the mendicants: “Reverends, a mendicant who wants to accuse another should first establish five things in themselves.
What five? I will speak at the right time, not at the wrong time. I will speak truthfully, not falsely. I will speak gently, not harshly. I will speak beneficially, not harmfully. I will speak lovingly, not from secret hate. A mendicant who wants to accuse another should first establish these five things in themselves.