You should know this, Sāriputta, about those white-clothed laypeople whose actions are restrained in the five precepts, and who get four blissful meditations in this life belonging to the higher mind when they want, without trouble or difficulty. They may, if they wish, declare of themselves: ‘I’ve finished with rebirth in hell, the animal realm, and the ghost realm. I’ve finished with all places of loss, bad places, the underworld. I am a stream-enterer! I’m not liable to be reborn in the underworld, and am assured, destined for awakening.’
Seeing the peril in the hells,
you should shun bad deeds.
Taking up the teaching of the noble ones,
an astute person should shun them.
You shouldn’t harm living beings,
so long as strength is found.
Nor should you knowingly speak falsehood,
or take what is not given.
Content with your own partners,
you should stay away from the partners of others.
A personage shouldn’t drink wine or toddy,
as they confuse the mind.
You should recollect the Buddha,
and reflect on the teaching.
You should develop a harmless mind of welfare,
which leads to the realms of gods.
When suitable gifts to give are available
to someone who seeks and needs merit,
a religious donation is abundant
if given first to the peaceful ones.
I will tell of the peaceful ones,
Sāriputta, listen to me.
Cows may be black or white,
red or tawny,
mottled or uniform,
or pigeon-colored.
But when one is born among them,
the bull that’s tamed—
a behemoth, powerful,
well-paced in pulling forward—