“Brahmin, I don’t see anyone in this world—with its gods, Māras, and divinities, this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its gods and humans—for whom I should bow down or rise up or offer a seat. If the Realized One bowed down or rose up or offered a seat to anyone, their head would explode!”
“Worthy Gotama lacks taste.”
“There is, brahmin, a sense in which you could rightly say that I lack taste. For the Realized One has given up taste for sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches. It’s cut off at the root, made like a palm stump, obliterated, and unable to arise in the future. In this sense you could rightly say that I lack taste. But that’s not what you’re talking about.”
“Worthy Gotama is indelicate.”
“There is, brahmin, a sense in which you could rightly say that I’m indelicate. For the Realized One has given up delight in sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches. It’s cut off at the root, made like a palm stump, obliterated, and unable to arise in the future. In this sense you could rightly say that I’m indelicate. But that’s not what you’re talking about.”
“Worthy Gotama is a teacher of inaction.”