I had four teenage wives. And I went to them and said: ‘Sisters, I’ve undertaken the five training rules with chastity as fifth. If you wish, you may stay here, enjoy my wealth, and do good deeds. Or you can return to your own families. Or would you prefer if I gave you to another man?’ When I said this, my eldest wife said to me: ‘Master, please give me to a man named so-and-so.’ Then I summoned that man. Taking my wife with my left hand and a ceremonial vase with my right, I presented her to that man with the pouring of water. But I can’t recall getting upset while giving away my teenage wife. This is the third incredible and amazing quality found in me.
And though my family has wealth, it’s shared without reserve with ethical people of good character. This is the fourth incredible and amazing quality found in me.
When I pay homage to a mendicant, I do so carefully, not carelessly. This is the fifth incredible and amazing quality found in me.
If that venerable teaches me the Dhamma, I listen carefully, not carelessly. But if they don’t teach me the Dhamma, I teach them. This is the sixth incredible and amazing quality found in me.
It’s not unusual for deities to come to me and announce: ‘Householder, the Buddha’s teaching is well explained!’ When they say this I say to them: ‘The Buddha’s teaching is well explained, regardless of whether or not you deities say so!’ But I don’t recall getting too excited by the fact that the deities come to me, and I have a conversation with them. This is the seventh incredible and amazing quality found in me.