Numbered Discourses: Sevens, Eights, Nines
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 23 · Page 372
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

He said to Nandaka, “Nandaka, that was a long exposition of the teaching you gave to the mendicants. My back was aching while I stood outside the door waiting for the talk to end.”

When he said this, Nandaka felt embarrassed and said to the Buddha, “Sir, we didn’t know that the Buddha was standing outside the door. If we’d known, I wouldn’t have said so much.”

Then the Buddha, knowing that Nandaka was embarrassed, said to him, “Good, good, Nandaka! It’s appropriate for gentlemen like you, who have gone forth out of faith from the lay life to homelessness, to sit together for a Dhamma talk. When you’re sitting together you should do one of two things: discuss the teachings or keep noble silence.

Nandaka, a mendicant is faithful but not ethical. So they’re incomplete in that respect, and should fulfill it, thinking, ‘How can I become faithful and ethical?’ When a mendicant is faithful and ethical, they’re complete in that respect.

A mendicant is faithful and ethical, but does not get internal serenity of heart. So they’re incomplete in that respect, and should fulfill it, thinking, ‘How can I become faithful and ethical and get internal serenity of heart?’ When a mendicant is faithful and ethical and gets internal serenity of heart, they’re complete in that respect.

เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้