Then the brahmin Uggatasarīra went up to the Buddha, and exchanged greetings with him. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side and said to the Buddha, “Worthy Gotama, I have heard that kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post is very fruitful and beneficial.”
“I’ve also heard this, brahmin.”
For a second time … and third time Uggatasarīra said to the Buddha, “Worthy Gotama, I have heard that kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post is very fruitful and beneficial.”
“I’ve also heard this, brahmin.”
“Then the worthy Gotama and I are in total agreement in this matter.”
When he said this, Venerable Ānanda said to Uggatasarīra, “Brahmin, you shouldn’t ask the Buddha in this way. You should ask in this way: ‘Sir, I want to kindle the sacrificial fire and raise the sacrificial post. May the Buddha please advise and instruct me. It will be for my lasting welfare and happiness.’”
Then Uggatasarīra said to the Buddha, “Worthy Gotama, I want to kindle the sacrificial fire and raise the sacrificial post. May the worthy Gotama please advise and instruct me. It will be for my lasting welfare and happiness.”