“Even before kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post, one raises three unskillful knives which ripen and result in suffering. What three? The knives of the body, speech, and mind. Even before kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post one gives rise to the thought: ‘May this many bulls, bullocks, heifers, goats, and rams be slaughtered for the sacrifice!’ Thinking, ‘May I make goodness’, one makes wickedness. Thinking, ‘May I do good’, one does bad. Thinking, ‘May I seek the path to a good rebirth’, one seeks the path to a bad rebirth. Even before kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post one raises this first unskillful mental knife which ripens and results in suffering.
Furthermore, even before kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post, one says such things as: ‘May this many bulls, bullocks, heifers, goats, and rams be slaughtered for the sacrifice!’ Thinking, ‘May I make goodness’, one makes wickedness. Thinking, ‘May I do good’, one does bad. Thinking, ‘May I seek the path to a good rebirth’, one seeks the path to a bad rebirth. Even before kindling the sacrificial fire and raising the sacrificial post one raises this second unskillful verbal knife which ripens and results in suffering.