If a mendicant often meditates with a mind reinforced with the perception of not-self in suffering, but their heart is not rid of I-making, mine-making, and conceit for this conscious body and externally for all signs; nor has it gone beyond discrimination, and is not peaceful or well freed, they should know: ‘My perception of not-self in suffering is undeveloped. I don’t have any distinction higher than before. I haven’t attained a fruit of development.’ In this way they are aware of the situation.
But if a mendicant often meditates with a mind reinforced with the perception of not-self in suffering, and their heart is rid of I-making, mine-making, and conceit for this conscious body and externally for all signs; and it has gone beyond discrimination, and is peaceful and well freed, they should know: ‘My perception of not-self in suffering is well developed. I have realized a distinction higher than before. I have attained a fruit of development.’ In this way they are aware of the situation. ‘When the perception of not-self in suffering is developed and cultivated it’s very fruitful and beneficial. It has freedom from death as its objective and culmination.’ That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.
These seven perceptions, when developed and cultivated, are very fruitful and beneficial. Their objective and culmination is freedom from death.”
Numbered Discourses 7.50 5. A Great Sacrifice Sex
Then the brahmin Jānussoṇi went up to the Buddha, and exchanged greetings with him. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side and said to the Buddha, “Does Worthy Gotama claim to be chaste?”