They illuminate the true teaching, beacons beaming light, the attentive ones bringing light, clear-eyed ones with strife discarded.
Having heard their instruction, the astute, understanding rightly, directly know the ending of rebirth, they come not back to future lives.”
This too is a matter that was spoken by the Blessed One: that is what I heard.
So It Was Said 105 The Book of the Fours The Chapter on the Brahmin’s Offering of the Teaching The Arising of Craving
This was said by the Buddha, the Perfected One: that is what I heard.
“Mendicants, there are four things that give rise to craving in a mendicant. What four? For the sake of robes, almsfood, lodgings, or rebirth in this or that state. These are the four things that give rise to craving in a mendicant.” The Buddha spoke this matter. On this it is said:
“Craving is a person’s partner as they transmigrate on this long journey. They go from this state to another, but don’t escape transmigration.
Knowing this danger, that craving is the cause of suffering—rid of craving, free of grasping, a mendicant would wander mindful.”
This too is a matter that was spoken by the Blessed One: that is what I heard.
So It Was Said 106 The Book of the Fours The Chapter on the Brahmin’s Offering of the Teaching With Divinity
This was said by the Buddha, the Perfected One: that is what I heard.