“I see in the world of gods and humans a brahmin traveling with nothing. I bow especially to you, All-seer: release me, Sakyan, from my indecisions.”
“I am not able to release anyone in the world who is indecisive, Dhotaka. But when you understand the best of teachings, you shall cross this flood.”
“Teach me, brahmin, out of compassion, the principle of seclusion so that I may understand. I wish to practice right here, peaceful, independent, unobstructed as space itself.”
“I shall extol that peace for you,” replied the Buddha, “that is apparent in the present, not relying on legends. Having understood it, one who lives mindfully may cross over clinging in the world.”
“And I rejoice, great seer, in that supreme peace, having understood which, one who lives mindfully may cross over clinging in the world.”
“Once you have understood that everything,” replied the Buddha, “you are aware of in the world—above, below, all round, between—is a chain, don’t crave for life after life.”
Anthology of Discourses 5.7 The Questions of Upasīva