But one who loves to calm their thoughts,
developing perception of ugliness, ever mindful,
will surely eliminate that craving,
cutting off the bonds of Māra.
One who is confident, unafraid,
rid of craving, free of blemish,
having struck down the arrows flying to future lives,
this bag of bones is their last.
Rid of craving, free of grasping,
expert in the definition of terms,
knowing the correct
structure and sequence of syllables,
they are said to be one who bears their final body,
one of great wisdom, a great person.
I am the vanquisher of all, the knower of all,
unsullied in the midst of all things.
I’ve given up all, freed in the ending of craving.
Since I know for myself, whose follower should I be?
The gift of the teaching surmounts all other gifts;
the taste of the teaching surmounts all other tastes;
the joy of the teaching surmounts all other joys;
the ending of craving surmounts all suffering.
Riches ruin a simpleton,
but not a seeker of the far shore.
From craving for wealth, a simpleton
ruins themselves and others.
Weeds are the bane of crops,
but greed is these folk’s bane.
That’s why a gift to one rid of greed
is so very fruitful.