“Any bad things I’ve done in previous lives, I’ll now rinse away right here”—such was the view I used to hold.
Having heard the fine words, a passage meaningful and principled, I rationally reflected on the true, essential goal.
I’ve washed away all bad things; I’m stainless, clean, pristine; the pure heir of the pure one, a bosom son of the Buddha.
When I plunged into the eightfold stream, all bad things were rinsed away. I’ve attained the three knowledges and fulfilled the Buddha’s instructions.
Verses of the Senior Monks 5.8 The Book of the Fives Chapter One Vakkali
“Struck by a wind ailment while dwelling in a forest grove, you’ve entered a tough place for gathering alms—how will you get by, monk?”
“Pervading this bag of bones with abundant rapture and happiness, putting up with what’s tough, I’ll dwell in the forest.
Developing mindfulness meditation, the faculties and the powers, developing the factors of awakening, I’ll dwell in the forest.
Having seen those who are energetic, resolute, always staunchly vigorous, harmonious and united, I’ll dwell in the forest.