When he said this, Venerable Bhaddāli said to the Buddha, “Sir, I’m not going to attempt to eat my food in one sitting per day. For when eating once a day I might feel remorse and regret.”
“Well then, Bhaddāli, eat one part of the meal in the place where you’re invited, and bring the rest back to eat. Eating this way, too, you will sustain yourself.” “Sir, I’m not going to attempt to eat that way, either. For when eating that way I might also feel remorse and regret.” Then, as this rule was being laid down by the Buddha and the Saṅgha was undertaking it, Bhaddāli announced he would not attempt to keep it. Then for the whole of that three months Bhaddāli would not see the Buddha face to face, as happens when someone doesn’t fulfill the training according to the Teacher’s instructions.
At that time several mendicants were making a robe for the Buddha, thinking that when his robe was finished and the three months of the rains residence had passed the Buddha would set out wandering.
Then Bhaddāli went up to those mendicants, and exchanged greetings with them. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side. The mendicants said to Bhaddāli, “Reverend Bhaddāli, this robe is being made for the Buddha. When it’s finished and the three months of the rains residence have passed the Buddha will set out wandering. Come on, Bhaddāli, learn your lesson. Don’t make it hard for yourself later on.”
“Yes, reverends,” Bhaddāli replied. He went to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him, “I made a mistake, sir. It was foolish, stupid, and unskillful of me that, as this rule was being laid down by the Buddha and the Saṅgha was undertaking it, I announced I would not attempt to keep it. Please, sir, accept my mistake for what it is, so I will restrain myself in future.”