Middle Discourses: The Middle Fifty
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 13 · Page 480
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

Then Aṅgulimāla donned his sword and shield, fastened his bow and arrows, and followed behind the Buddha. But the Buddha used his psychic power to will that Aṅgulimāla could not catch up with him no matter how hard he tried, even though the Buddha kept walking at a normal speed. Then Aṅgulimāla thought, “Oh lord, how incredible, how amazing! Previously, even when I’ve chased a speeding elephant, horse, chariot or deer, I’ve always caught up with them. But I can’t catch up with this ascetic no matter how hard I try, even though he’s walking at a normal speed.” He stood still and said, “Stop, stop, ascetic!” “I’ve stopped, Aṅgulimāla—now you stop.” Then Aṅgulimāla thought, “These ascetics who follow the Sakyan speak the truth. Yet while walking the ascetic says: ‘I’ve stopped, Aṅgulimāla—now you stop.’ Why don’t I ask him about this?”

Then he addressed the Buddha in verse: “While walking, ascetic, you say ‘I’ve stopped.’ And I have stopped, but you tell me I’ve not. I’m asking you this, ascetic: how is it you’ve stopped and I have not?” “Aṅgulimāla, I have forever stopped—I’ve laid aside violence toward all creatures. But you can’t stop yourself <j>from harming living creatures; that’s why I’ve stopped, but you have not.” “Oh, at long last a renowned great seer, an ascetic has followed me into this deep wood. Now that I’ve heard your verse on Dhamma, I shall live without evil.”

เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้